Monday, March 9, 2015

Manic Monday

I'm baaa-aaack!  Sorry for neglecting this blog, blah blah blah . . . now back to business.

One of my least-favorite sayings, actually a Yiddish curse I think, is: "May you live in interesting times!"  Such has been my journey these past few years.  Interesting, difficult, but not without many lessons learned and a few wonderful epiphanies granted.  James wrote, "Count it all joy when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." (James 1:3 & 4)  And isn't that what we who suffer from mood disorders desire the most?  Steadfastness, calm, peace, even-keeled emotions . . . I almost said normalcy, but that is not right.  For me, being a bipolar 2 is my normal.  It's how God made me, and for a purpose.  But being a person who is a lot easier to be around is a goal. (And a promise!)  No one likes to be disliked.

Changes since I wrote last: Ephedra is now legal to buy and sell in the U.S. again.  It never should have been banned.  But I don't expect to see it as an ingredient in Red Bull or in over-the-counter weight loss medications anytime soon.  Even though it is much better and safer than huge doses of caffeine for those who need a boost.  I still use it very infrequently.

My two youngest, girls, are now eighteen and twenty-two and live at home.  I could write a whole separate blog about that, but since they will remember very little of what they say and do right now in the future when they can stand me again, there is no need to dwell on these things overmuch.  I have that perspective after talking to my older two, who actually like to talk to me and don't lecture me endlessly, if they ever did.  I don't remember.  

My husband and I are once again coaching high school mountain biking.  We tried to get out, but it pulled us right back in.  We have one of the best teams ever, and since right now is the midst of our busiest time of the year, it is nice to stop and reflect on how that is affecting my ongoing mood disorder challenges and what I have learned in the interim.

I need to let the chickens out and eat something right now, but I'll get right back to blogging in the next few days.  Follow me for more!  I will finally write about the legal meds I have tried and what I mean to do next.  About my time with two awful psychiatrists and the challenges of insurance for mental health.  And two very sad stories resulting from self-medicating and the lack of support available for those who are mentally ill and addicted.  Ciao for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment